Reflecting Laser Barrier
- Detection of product cold or hot
- Case in metal
- Design for harsh environment
- Visible laser beam
The sensor V5 works in association with a reflector R (cf. literature E3990).
Features and benefits:
- Visible laser beam of class 2 (no particular using condition according EN 60825-1).
- Bright beam easy to align and which enables large detection range (up to 100 m).
- High accuracy detection.
- Beam modulation and optical filter to have no interference from ambient light. Model with special filter for use in environment with high-level light.
- Cast aluminium case with air purged hood for protecting the lens and water-cooling plate.
- Alignment and checking devices: sensitivity potentiometer, light indicator showing operation and alarm.
- Alarm signal when lens or reflector is dirty.
- Model with filter (V5G) for application with emitting background.
Examples of applications
Tail detection for on fly length measurement
Slab detection - Charging of reheat furnace
The Laser Barrier V5 can be used for all detection applications of cold product in the Steel industry.
The Laser Barrier V5 consists of :
- An optical unit equipped with laser emitting diode, reception photodiode, electronics with high current transistor output, relay or opto solid state relay and power supply.
- A terminal block with protection cover or a connector fitted with high temperature cable with protective steel braid.
- A hood for lens protection with purging air connection.
- An optional water-cooling plate for use at ambient temperature higher than 50 °C / 122 °F.
The visible and modulated beam emitted by the laser diode is reflected back by a prism reflector placed opposite to the sensor, then detected by the photodiode which outputs a signal to the processing electronics. Product presence is determined depending on whether the beam is blocked or not. Beam modulation, special optical filter and automatic correction make the sensor insensitive to ambient light.
The visible and bright laser beam makes setting up the Laser Barrier V5 easy and fast.
‹ Back to list
To align the sensor, the beam has to be aimed at the detection point. Then the reflector has to be positioned so as to centre the point of impact of the beam.
The detection accuracy (± 1.5 mm at 2 m, ± 5 mm at 6 m distance) can be increased by sensitivity potentiometer adjustment.